Welcome to the La-La Land Crafts For Kids blog!

This blog is now CLOSED!
With much sadness in our hearts we had to make a decision to CLOSE our La-La Land Crafts For Kids Blog. We would like to thank everyone who'd participated in our challenges and of course the biggest thank you goes to our Blog Hostesses! We hope that you all will continue sharing your La-La Land Crafts makes with us on our "grown-up" blog and/or on our Facebook Page and Group.
All the best from all of us at La-La Land Crafts!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Alcohol Inks - Tutorial.

Hello La-La Landers!

Today I had a very creative morning, I got to do one of my very favourite activities. I made backgrounds using Alcohol Inks. It is very easy to do and all of the pieces look very different from each other.

I started with a piece of 4x6 glossy photo paper and some bottles of Adirondack Alcohol Inks by Ranger. These inks can be pretty messy, but that is part of the fun.

I protected my work space and started my first piece.


I put a piece of felt on the end of my inking tool and added a few drops of ink Wild Plum and Butterscotch.


Then I set to work stamping the ink tool all over the glossy paper. As you go you will need to add a few more drops of colours to give the whole paper a good cover. The fun thing about the inks is that you can’t really mess them up. Because when you are finished adding the colours you add a Mixative and some Blending Solution to make the magic happen.

I used Silver Mixative and stamped on top of my ink colours. The colours move about, because of the Blending Solution, to create a really cool look that makes a perfect background for stamps.

You really need to bang the felt down onto the glossy paper and go over white spaces to get a full background. You can change the way your paper looks by adding Ink, Mixative or Blending Solution to spots that you think are not quite right.

While I was working I chose some cardstock colours and had help sewing them together to make a card. I used the Big Shot to cut out one of my background papers and foam dots to attach it to the cardstock. I chose pink and yellow cardstock colours to match my inks.
I used ***Marci With Rose*** to go on top. I never used Gelly Roll Pens before but now Mummy thinks I have found my "medium" - whatever that means.
The best part of this activity is CREATING, TRYING, EXPERIMENTING. I hope you get the chance to try something crafty and new too! Especially Alcohol Inks and Gelly Roll Pens with La-La Land stamps!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JJ SAID: "Hannah -you did a fantastic job on this - it's beautiful!"

Anonymous said...

Wow!the focus and concentration you must have had to put in to create such a wonderfully colourful piece of art, and to colour with gelly rolls too is not easy. Hannah, you have done extremely well. i love the purple rose. sooper- dooper job we love it! Aunty Sara xxx (UK)

Irina Blount said...

Hannah, what a great tutorial!! I am now inspired to to pull out my inks and PLAY!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!

Hugs!!
:) Irina

Kristine said...

Wow Hannah, this is so creative!! I remember doing something similar with shaving cream and swirling classic ink around with a spatula. It gives a neat swirly background. I will look into these inks and blending solution because I love the final results! GREAT JOB Hannah and thanks for sharing your tutorial *Ü*